Let me start by saying that I'm definitely not a cook. However, in my year-of-weight-loss, I learned how to whip a few things up in the kitchen that filled me up and kept me on track. Here is a variation of a simple dinner that is inexpensive and easy to make.
- 14 ounce boneless, skinless chicken breast fillets (I bought Just BARE brand)
- One 1.5 cup container sliced mushrooms
- Sweet peas! I bought Birds Eye Steamfresh - you can just microwave it.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Seasoning: salt, pepper, lemon pepper, garlic powder, curry powder.
- Cottage cheese for the side.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a nonstick pan. Add mushrooms and season with salt and pepper; cook & stir until almost cooked through.
- Add your chicken breasts. Season how you would like, but I really add a ton of lemon pepper and curry powder.
- Cook the chicken on both sides until it is done! If it gets too crackly, you can add a little water to the pan. By the time the chicken is done, the mushrooms should be niiiice and cooked.
- Start your peas by following the direction on the package.
- Once the chicken is cooked through completely (I usually cut each breast in half after a while so I can see how they are looking in the middle), remove from pan.
- Add your peas to the mushrooms in the pan and stir em all up.
- That's it!
(This is everything shown cut in TWO, since I split this with Mark)
- 1.5 chicken breasts (or 7oz) = 210cal
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil = 60cal
- 1/2 container of sliced mushrooms = 30cal
- 1 cup sweet peas = 105cal
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese (fat free!) = 70
Easy, filling, and delicious dinner! Definitely not anything mind-blowing, but the curry powder does the trick. Also - get this - excluding the olive oil, which I already had on hand, this meal only cost $13.39 total, so between Mark & I, it was only $6.70 a person. Not bad, considering the cottage cheese (which was $3.19) will last two more meals.
What is your go-to dinner on work nights? This is something I can whip up in half hour or less. Let me know in the comments!